Situated near Béziers, the Domaine de la Grande Courtade has belonged to the Fabre family since 1763. The cellars and winery buildings surround an attractive 16th century country house and an imposing, stone pigeon tower. The vinification cellar is equipped with carved stone tanks which have been used since the 18th century. Wines are run off these tanks by gravity into large, partly submerged wooden tanks. The origin of the name 'Courtade' is to be found in an ancient Languedoc term designating a small courtyard providing protection from the wind and the sun.
Winds from the sea freshen the effects of the hot, Mediterranean climate. The Grande Courtage is located at 40m in altitude. Morning mists often rise in the nearby Orb and Lirou river valleys.