Some moments in history are particularly significant, like that which led to the creation of the famous Picpoul de Pinet appellation. It occurred in 1773, when Turgot, one of Louis XVI's future ministers, gave permission for each barrel of the local wine to be branded with a red-hot branding iron with a sign marking the quality of the Pinet vineyards.
Today, the Master Winemakers of the Ormarine Winery are perpetuating this centuries-old tradition and legendary history with considerable success.
Pinet is a village in Hérault Country, six miles from the town of Agde and the Méditerranéen coast. Facing the sea, it is in the historically very ancient wine-growing area where the grape was originally found and where it won its spurs, thus entitling it to the name Picpoul de Pinet that has since become its appellation.